Based on a recipe from CraftBeering.comINGREDIENTS
- 3 cups shredded cheese (we used a mixture of medium cheddar, monterey jack, and asadero shredded cheeses)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 330ml bottle of Tropic King (Saison or Solenna would be a good choice too!)
- ¼ cup half and half
- round bread loaf (we used a sourdough boule but rye or pumpernickle would also work well)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- When the butter is completely melted, quickly whisk in the flour to create a roux.
- Slowly add the bottle of Tropic King whisking it into the roux as you pour.
- Let the mixture come to a boil then turn down the heat and let it simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
- While the beer is simmering, cut the top fourth off of your bread loaf and carefully hollow out the bottom, leaving a half inch bread bowl remaining. Cube removed bread and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to low and stir in your half and half and then begin incorporating the star of dish: all that delicious cheese. Gently fold or whisk until all the cheese has melted and has been fully incorporated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully pour this beer-cheese lava into your bread bowl, garnish with chopped green onion, and consume immediately but without burning your mouth.